Friday, July 10, 2009

Love and Support


Doctrine and Covenants 84:88
"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

Every Thursday night I go to an Addiction Recovery Program meeting for eating disorders. Last night one of the missionaries shared this scripture. We had talked about step 1 "Honesty. Admit that you, of yourself, are powerless to overcome your addictions and that your life has become unmanageable."

As we talked about recognizing our addictions it helped me be reminded how important Jesus Christ and his atonement is in my life. We read through the Introduction and there is a paragraph that says, "By being humble and honest and calling upon God and others for help, you can overcome your addictions through the atonement of Jesus Christ. Just as we are recovered, you can recover and enjoy all the blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Last night I thought about what is holding me back from moving forward and losing more weight. It is because I am not Trusting in the Lord to help me. I keep thinking to myself that I have to do it on my own. I am so grateful that I recognize that I need to Trust in the Lord and let him help me. Step 3 is "Trust in God. Decide to turn your will and your life over to the care of God the Eternal Father and His Son, Jesus Christ."

I know that I need to start Trusting in God now. I've been stubborn. I just keep thinking that I can do this on my own. I need to have control. I won't get very far on my own. I need the help of God. I need to trust in Jesus Christ and his atonement. That is why it is there.

I am so grateful to my counselor for introducing me to this program. I look forward to going each week and be uplifted and fulfilled with God's love for me and others struggling with a similar addiction as mine.

I want to thank all who have and will continue to support me. I struggle everyday to do the right and to reach to God when I need him. This will be a lifetime process for me. I am grateful that I have people around me that support me to keep me going.
Thank you all.

Quotes from LDS Family Services Addiction Recovery Program: A Guide to Addiction Recovery and Healing.

Meeting I attend is Thursday night at 7:30pm at the Highland High School Seminary Building.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sweet daughter, you are so wonderful! Your message touched my heart. This class of yours sound like something I would enjoy. We all need to be reminded of these things just to fight 'this world' and remember that it is our Saviour that is there for us.
Love you more each day...